KHIRA project aims to overcome the limits of the current product lifecycle management approach according to a more integrated approach and to an holistic vision. Achieving this goal requires the following gaps to be filled:
- not all processes of the product lifecycle are supported by information management systems, not even existing ones are integrated with each other;
- an holistic integration level, that could allow the access to all the dimensions of product data, does not exist.
Product Lifecycle Management technologies (AS IS)
For this purpose, the results of product and process innovation that KHIRA project intends to achieve are:
- first project result is to create a framework that cover the whole product life cycle, including design, production, maintenance, testing and validation, ensuring the gathering, usability and reuse of knowledge complying with security and management of intellectual property;
- second project result is to define and implement an environment able to support knowledge-based decision-making processes, catching key informations from all product life cycle phases in order to set and maintain customer requirements, product standards and all quality, efficiency and environment constraints.
Product Lifecycle Management technologies (TO BE)
To achieve the first result an effective PLM system will be necessary, developing, at the same time, Product Data Management tools, focusing on Requirement Data Management (RDM), Simulation process and Data Management (SDM), product data (PDM), being careful to products that are not covered, such as software, hardware and control systems and test data (TDM) as well as manufacturing and Process Planning data management.
To achieve the second result, Holistic Product Lifecycle Management, will be necessary to consider three data product dimensions and, particularly, will be essential a framework able to integrate:
- horizontal processes dimension that characterize the product life cycle by connecting, all its processes, via virtualization technologies, realizing, in this way, an effective Lifecycle Collaboration;
- vertical dimension, making available to the project management the access to informations created in any process, aggregating them properly, according to customer needs, creating a true Product Lifecycle Assessment;
- different products dimensions, through Technical Knowledge Management tools able to allow the access to any product data, in any programme, according both to knowledge worker reference context and to security and IP policies.
OR contribution to PLM framework modules development